"
Newspaper Archive of
Shelton Mason County Journal
Shelton, Washington
News of Mason County, WA
Get your news here
Mason County Journal
June 17, 1971     Shelton Mason County Journal
PAGE 27     (27 of 70 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 27     (27 of 70 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
June 17, 1971
 

Newspaper Archive of Shelton Mason County Journal produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2021. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




puao Twenty-six churches serve the communities of Mason County, including Shelton, Belfair, Hoodsport, Skokomish Valley, the Skokomish Indian Reservation, Kamilche, Matlock, Allyn and Tahuya. The earliest churches built were the Skokomish Shaker Church in 1885, and in Shelton the First Methodist in 1887, the First Baptist in 1889, and St. Edward's Catholic Church in 1892. During recent years several congregations have dedicated mod er n new buildings. These include Mt. Olive Lutheran, The Church of Latter Day Saints, United Methodist, Northside Baptist, Mt. View Assembly of God, Northside Baptist, and the Assembly of God and Shaker Churches on the Indian reservation. Following are brief accounts of the churches of Mason County: FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH, 5th and Cota: Beginning in 1889 services were held in the Methodist Church building until 1892 when con~re.gation dedicated its own place of worship, with Rev. S. W. Beaven as pastor. The Rev. Jerry Larson is presently the pastor, serving 534 members. Sunday services: 9:30 a.m. Sunday School; I 1 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Worship. FAITH LUTHERAN CHURCH: Member American Lutheran Church, organized 1949, dedicated building in 1952. Baptized membership is 481. Pastor: Rev. Kenneth J. Robinson. Summer schedule of Sunday services: 8:15 a.m. Contemporary Worship; 9:00 a.m. Combined Sunday School; 10 a.m. W orship; CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST of Latter Day Saints, 12th & Connection Sts.: Shelton Ward of Olympia Stake organized in 1942, dedicated its own building in 1967. Pastor: Bishop Lew F. McAferty. Membership is 390. Sunday services: 11 a.m. Sunday School; 5 p.m. Sacrament Meeting. FIRST CHRISTIAN CHURCH, Arcadia & Lake Blvd.: Founded in 1954 with Rev. Lewis Whitney, pastor, congregation dedicated its church building in. 1961 . Pastor: Rev. Ed Chamberlain. Sunday services: Worship; 7:00 p.m. Family Service; Midweek, Wednesday 7 p.m. FOURSQUARE CHURCH, 910 Dearborn St.: Rev. William Lambert Sr. founded the church in 1938. Present membership si 75. Pastors: Rev. and Mrs. Lewis Wysong, both ordained ministers. Sunday services: 9:45 a.m. Sunday School; 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. Worship. UNITED METHODIST, King & G Sts.: Land for first building was donated by Mr. and Mrs. David Shelton, town's founders, in 1887. Rev. G. F. Mead began construction that year. In 1966 present edifice on Mountain View was consecrated. Pastor: Rev. Horace Mounts. Membership is 750. Sunday services: 9 and 11 a.m. Worship; 9:30 a.m. Sunday School. MT. VIEW ALLIANCE CHURCH, Washington & J. Sts.: Affiliated with Christian and Missionary Alliance, church was organized in 1936, built on land donated by Dr. and Mrs. L. E. Callanan. Pastor: Rev. Earl Evers. Sunday services: 9:45 a.m. Sunday School; 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. Worship. SHELTON ASSEMBLY OF GOD, 1521 Monroe St.: First services were conducted in 1936 by Rev. Ida Strankman. Church organized the following year, dedicated new building in 1966. It contains worship and educational units. Pastor: Rev. Mason A. Younglund. Forty-five are active voting members. Sunday services: 9:45 a.m. Sunday School; 11 a.m. Worship; 6 o.m. Evangelistic Service. NORTHSIDE BAPTIST CHURCH, 123 West C St.: Affiliated with Southern Baptist Church, congregation dedicated chapel in 1965 with 46 members. Pastor: Rev. Paul Butterfield. Sunday services: 9:45 a.m. BiOle Study; 11 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. Worship. FIRST CHURCH OF CHRIST, SCIENTIST, 302 Aider St. ; The Shelton Society organized in 1927, dedicated edifice in 1938. Mrs. Lois Stroud is First Reader; Mrs. Grace Herz, Second Reader; Sunday services: 11 a.m. Sunday School and Church. Reading room in in church building. MAT LOC-I! COMMUNITY CHURCH; Originally served by pioneer circuit ministers once a month, church now occupies building donated by Mrs. Viva Jacobson. Pastor: Rev. Leslie Drake. Sunday services: 10 a.m. Sunday School; 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. Worship. SKOKOMISH SHAKER CHURCH, New church dedicated in 1965 replaces one built in 1885 on the Skokomish Indian Reservation four years after Shaker religion was founded. Pastor: Rev. Lee Cush, assisted by Bennett Cooper. Sunday Worship: 11 a.m. HOOD CANAL COMMUNITY CHURCH, Hoodsport: Organized in 1941 on initiative of Hoodsport Commercial Club, congregation dedicated building in 1942, subsequently added parsonage and Sunday School and social hall. Pastor: Rev. Wesley H. Gain: Sunday services: 9:45 a.m. Sunday School; 11 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Worship. KAMILCHE VALLEY ASSEMBLY: This church at head of Little Skookum Bay dates back to 1920's when services were held at home of D. H. Witener. A new church was erected in 1954, enlarged in 1968. The church has 50 members. Pastor: Rev. Marvin Moe. Sunday services: 9:45 a.m. Sunday School: 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. Worship. SHELTON CHURCH OF GOD, 1828 Washington St.; Built by Rev. John Moore and congregation, the church was dedicated in 1958. now has 55 members. Pastor: Rev. John H. Moore. Sunday services: 10 a.m. Sunday School: 11 a.m, and 7:30 p.m. Worship. ST. EDWARD'S CATHOLIC CHURCH, 3rd & Pine: First services were held in Shelton Town Hall in 1888. Church was built in 1892. succeeded by present edifice in 1931. St. Edward's Hall for classrooms and social activities was acquired in 1966. Pastor: Rebv. Gabriel P. Donohue, OSB. Sunday masses: 7, 8:30, 9:30, 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. On Holy Days of Obligation, 6:30 and 9:30 a.m. 12 noon, 6 p.m. Mass is also celebrated at 6 p.m. Sunday at Hood Canal Women's Clubhouse, Potlatch. ST. DAVID'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH, 3rd & Cedar: Preaching station was established in 1895, present edifice built in 1948, education wing added in 1960. In vestibule is stone from original St. David's Church in Pembroke, Wales, founded in A.D. 1100. Baptized .members number 350. Pastor: Rev. D. J. Maddux. Sunday Services: 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. Holy Communion and Sermon. Church is open 24 hours daily for prayer and meditation. ST. HUGH'S EPISCOPAL C HU R CH, Allyn: Tiny white village church built in 1909 for Congregationalists, closed in 1950, reopened as Episcopal church in 1968. Pastor: Rev. Donald Maddux. Family Service 9:30 a.m. Sunday. ST. NICHOLAS EPISCOPAL CHURCH, Tahuya: Organized in 1968, congregation holds services in Tahuya Elementary School building. Pastor: Rev. Donald Maddux. Family Service 11:10 a.m. Sunday. JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES, 1304 Holman St.; Organized in 1 950, congregation dedicated present church building in 1957, has 1 00 members. Presiding Overseer: Paul Strom. Sunday services: 9 a.m. Field Ministry; 1 p.m. Public Bible Lecture; 2 p.m. Bible Study. BELFAIR BAPTIST COMMUNITY CHURCH: Construction of a youth center is third phase of a building program through which church sanctuary, fellowship hall, and educational unit have been completed since 1949 when Sam Theler donated site. Church was organized in 1946, has 200 members. Pastor: Rev. Wendell Harder. Summer schedule: Thursday, 7 p.m. Sunday School; 8 p.m. Worship; Sunday, 8:30 a.m. Worship. BELFAIR FULL GOSPEL CHURCH: Congregation organized in 1935 with Rev. Perry Dymond as pastor, dedicated building in 1938, added Sunday School room in. 1945. Baptized membership is 42. Pastor: Rev. Paul Gering. Sunda'y services: 9:45 a.m. Sunday School; 11 a.m. Worship; 7:30 p.m. E, angelical Service. Page S-90- Shelton-Mason County Journal - Thursday, June 17, 1971 + SKOKOMISH INDIAN ASSEMBLY OF GOD, Highway 101, Potlatch: Worship started ir~ 1945, continued several years Ln log church replaced with a modern building dedicated in 1965. Pastor: Rev. Dorothy Reed. Sunday services: 9:45 a.m. Sunday School; 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. Worship. The church has 20 baptized members. SKOKOMISH COMMUNITY CHURCH: After more than 50 years of unorganized worship, Skokomish Valley residents incorporated in 1957, dedicated their church building in 1961. Pastor: Rev. Howard Spear. Sunday services: 9:45 a.m. Sunday School; 11 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. Worship. SEVENTH DAY Faith Lutheran Church of Shelton First Baptist Church of Shelton ADVENTIST CHURCH, 6th & Railroad Ave: Congregation organized and built church in 1901, moved first church building to Mt. View area for school, dedicated present edifice in 1951. Baptized membership is~li5, Pastor: Elder Gareth Ellis. Saturday services: 9:30 a.m. Bible Study; 11 a.m. Preaching Service. 7:30 p.m. Wed., Bible Study. MT. OLIVE LUTHERAN, 206 E. Wyandotte: Services for this church, affiliated with the Missouri Synod, began in 1926, with Rev. C. M. Amling as missionary and pastor. New building was dedicated in 1965. Pastor: Rev. Roland Huber Baptized membership is 360. Sunday Services: 8:15 and 10:30 a.m.; Sunday School 9:15 a.m. Shelton is Mason County's seat of govern- ment, trade, and industry, situated at the base of the Olympic Peninsula with the southern extremities of Puget Sound to the east and vast forests to the west and north. The city fronts on Oakland Bay. Mason County's population is now in excess of 20,000. A state estimate in April, 1970 was 20,700, an increase of 2,691 over the total derived from a special census in 1966. The City of Shelton's estimated current population is 6,600. Economic stability for the community is assured by a unique situation in the timber in- dustry, a 100-year sustained yield contract be- tween the U. S. Forest Service and Simpson Timber Company which provides a perpetual supply of timber for the mills at Shelton. Another prime source of jobs and high- bracket income is the Olympic Research Divi- sion of ITT Rayonier Incorporated. At its Shelton laboratories scientists of international reputation are developing new uses for forest products and advanced methods for their man- ufacture. Added to this base are other natural re- source industries such as Christmas tree pro- duction, floral greenery harvesting, manufac- ture of wood specialties, oyster faming, and tourism. This last brings an influx of vacationists doubling the county's population during the summer months as visitors flock to the woods and waters for outdoor recreation of every description. Mason County's school enrollment for the Tree-shaded Callanan Park in Mt. View area is favorite spot for moms and kids. DOWNTOWN SHE/TON seen from the air, looking west, shows Simpson Timber Company's operations on Oakland Bay in foreground and ITT Rayonier Incorporated's Olympic Research Division, left center. 1970-71 school year was 4,73 l, broken down as follows: Shelton 3,103; North Mason 910; Hood Canal 409; Southside 197; Grapeview 57; Mary M. Knight 143; Kamilche 92; Pioneer 229. Assessed valuation of real estate in Mason County more than doubled in 1970 as a result of the state-wide mandatory increase in the ratio of assessed to market values, together with county-wide reappraisals to bring these values up to date. The county assessment roll for 1970 thus totalled $94,444,569, compared to $35,143,030 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~l~~~~~l~~~~~~~~~~~l~~~~l~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Mason County events scheduled for the ensuing year are: Mason County Fair and Rodeo: August 20, 21, 22. Hood Canal Boat Races, Union: August 22. Shelton Yacht Club Labor Day weekend Cruise and Dinner: September 4,5, 6. Shelton and Olympia Yacht Clubs: Joint Croise to Long Branch, September 25, 26. Forest Festival Queen's Banquet: May 24, 1972. Forest Festival Art Show and Musical Event: May 26, 1972. Forest Festival Parades and Loggers' Show: May 27, 1972. other sub-contracted items, lumber, wood products, piping, accoustical tile, cedar panels, cedar shakes, fence posts, fence rails, precision drills, electrical paint dryers, cement products, drying cabinets, plywood, and aluminum fabrication. Government agencies offices in Shelton are: State Department of Public Assistance, U. S. Soil Conservation Service, Mason-Thurs- ton County Health Service, Shelton Ranger District of Olympic National Forest, State De- partment of Natural Resources, and Agricul- tural Extension Service. Shelton's water supply comes from wells and springs with reservoir capacity of 1,160,- 000 gallons and pumping capacity of 4,300,- 000 gallons a day. Daily peak demand is 1,- 500,000 gallons. A primary type sewage disposal system has capacity of 18,000,000 gallons per day. Sewer service beyond the city limits is avail- able for significant industry. Public safety is guarded by ten officers and four dispatchers of the Shelton Police Department, 16 Sheriff's Department officers, and a city fire department with seven paid and 11 volunteer firemen. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ in 1969. Shelton's assessed valuation for 1970 was $29,053,472, in contrast to a 1969 total of $12,892,758. Mason County issued 468 building permits in 1970 totalling $2,949,529, the largest category of which was residential at $2,198,435 for 308 permits. Other county permits were: 58 home remodeling $175,040; 6 new commercial $197,000; 4 commercial remodeling $58,150; and 92 miscellaneous $320,904. City of Shelton building permits totalled $966,900. Residential building showed a substantial upturn, with 44 permits totalling $763,364. This compared to 22 permits for $273,918 the previous year. Other Shelton permits issued were 7 commercial $1 31,886 and 19 remodeling $71,650. Bank deposits gained in 1970 for a total of $19,558,901 in commercial and savings. Savings and loan association deposits totalled $8,550,610. Credit union shares amounted to $7,876,675. Mason County's total employment in 1970 was 6,240 out of a total labor force of 6,568, according to an estimate in the county's comprehensive plan Twenty-two manufacturing firms produced machined components for airplanes, ships, and Three city parks in Shelton provide rest and recreation areas for young and old resi- dents and visitors. Kneeland Park on First Street between Turner Avenue and Park Street is the oldest and largest park in the city. It has an excellent tree-shaded picnic area, sanitary facilities, slides, merry-go-round, teeter totter, a wading pool, and tennis courts. Additional tennis courts are located at 10th and Pine Streets. Callanan Park at the west end of E Street in the Mt. View area, built by a community effort led by Shelton Jaycees, has a turfed Little League baseball field with bleachers, a nice picnic area, and rest rooms. Brewer Park in downtown Shelton at Third and Franklin Streets contains a sightseer's at- traction and photo subject in the "Tollie". This is a Shay logging locomotive, called by the nickname Sol G. Simpson gave his wife. Squaxins To To raise money for their proposed longhouse the Squaxin Tribe will hold a clam and oyster bake on Squaxin Island all day Saturday, July 3. Indian entertainment is planned. Transportation may be arranged for at the Olympia Yacht Club or Marina. Thursday, June 17, 1971 - Shelton-Mason County Journal -S-3 +