Newspaper Archive of
Shelton Mason County Journal
Shelton, Washington
Mason County Journal
News of Mason County, WA
Get your news here
August 19, 1971     Shelton Mason County Journal
PAGE 27     (27 of 28 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
PAGE 27     (27 of 28 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
August 19, 1971

Newspaper Archive of Shelton Mason County Journal produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2021. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.

By .lULl PRESTON "- CR 5-6288 ~~~~~~~Il~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~u~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~u~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~ Mr. and Mrs. Pete Peterson and their son's family, Corky, Judy and son Shaun from Lacey, Washington bid farewell to their delightful house guests of six weeks, Mr. and Mrs. Plume from Bury Saint Edmonds, England. The Plumes were visiting their daughter Judy and her family. During their stay they traveled to the ocean shores, Canada and took the ferry ride to Victoria. Mr. and Mrs. Plume found that the Belfair life was one continuous holiday. Mrs. Plume had a special treat in paddeling or wading as we know it. They also liked to go on motor boat rides, which they never have done before. Mrs. Plume missed her Yorkshire Pudding, so on one of the last evening meals, Judy made her one and that was a special treat for her American family. It was a sad family at departure time, but they all have fond memories to look back upon. Mrs. Audrey Lamb who runs the Sunset Beach store has quite a menagerie of animals. Her dog, Heather, recently gave birth to eleven puppies, seven of which still need homes. Then her cat Patches added four little kittens to the household and all of these need homes. If you are looking for a baby swallow, Mrs. Lamb also has a nest full of those and she is hoping that they will soon fly away in search of a new home. Mrs. Lamb believes store-keeping is one thing, but she didn't bargain for the Animal Maternity Ward of South Shore! Miss Noreen Blackwell underwent plastic surgery on her leg at Providence Hospital in Seattle on July 30th. Noreen suffered a leg injury some time ago in a motorcycle accident. This surgery was the first of two operations that she will have to undergo as a result of that accident. Noreen found that the hardest part of the ordeal was learning to walk again after relying on crutches even for a short time. "We wish Noreen well with the second operation and hope for a speedy recovery for her. Mrs. Agnus Mcllraith is very proud of her first grandchild, Scan Christopher, born to Randy and Carol Mcllraith. Young Scan weighed in at a mighty 6 lbs.-11 oz. and was 21 inches long. His first home is in Marysville, California where his father is stationed with the Air Force. Grandma Myrtle Rarey has been a very busy lady caring for her grandchildren Steve and Lori Shelgren while their mother was Master Scott Edward Shelgren was born on July 31st weighing a grand 8 lbs. 3 oz. Proud Papa Don welcomed his family home after Mother Madelin's short three day hospital stay. She was home in time to celebrate her own birthday at a special dinner with her family on August 12th. Debbie and Marriles Rarey from Portland also spent the past several weeks visiting their grandparents. Last weekend their parents, Mr. and Mrs. Lyle Rarey, came to the canal to take the girls back home. Before leaving, the family had a salmon bake. The salmon was caught by Mike Hagan on a recent ocean fishing trip. Mr. Leroy Carlson caught his salmon limit on a fishing trip up near Seabeck and his big fish story is about the big one that didn't get away and weighs a grand 29 pounds! David Viers from California is on the canal visiting family friends, the Ed Wolles. David is eight years old and is here while his mother is in the hospital. He flew to Seattle by himself and he thought that was really fun. Mr. James A. Campbell Sr. from Idlehours returned recently from a week-long trip. He decided to go on a vacation traveling to wherever the road led. It led to Montana. He had a great time but since the weather was so hot he was glad to get back to the good old canal. Good wishes go to Mr. and Mrs. Art Kralicek who are expecting their first baby sometime around February! Mrs. Rodney G. (Jami)Hart received the degree of Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology at the University of Puget Sound's graduation ceremonies last Friday. She previously attended Slippery Rock State College, Slippery Rock, Pa. from 1958 to 1960 as a health and physical education major. In 1965 she completed a year's laboratory internship and then worked as a medical technician in a suburban Pittsburgh hospital until coming to Washington in 1966. She was employed by the Bremerton Medical Laboratories at Harrison Hospital until resuming her studies last September. Congratulations ! ,~p. 00 ~IUI~00000q~Ib0000,1~IPqlID~ 0 By Leo & Margaret Livingston -- CR 5-6421 qmll~0 ~0 00 00 00.91m~00 ~000 Night Hawks at High Noon: They fluttered and swooped over Pleasant Cove during the blistering hot weather last week. They followed a swarm of flying insects which had been driven from the sunbaked hills. Bird watchers counted 24 of these swift-flying birds during their rare mid-day beach visit. New North Shore potter is Virginia Testu, who exhibited pottery at the recent Belfair Flea Market. With her husband, Joseph K., they are building a house at Cherokee Beach. It is their second spot on the beach as they have had property there 10 years. Last spring Mrs. Testu built a kiln in the back yard of their new place. Now she has been turning out vases, pitchers, bowls, mugs, in her spare time. She has been selling a few. She also has a pottery wheel. She also has a full-time job in a mattress factory. Mr. Testu's mother was the late Jeanette Testu, a former state representative in Seattle for many years. Nature note: A heavy growth of green algae has been noted in last week to impede swimming in certain beaches. Floyd Williams reported great masses of it when he went fishing near Point No Point. Doug & Winona Hoppe were hosts to 65 members of the Olympia Ski Club at a picnic at the Hoppe's North Shore beach home. Doug is vice president of the club which is active in winter sports. ' The club is open to members from Thurston and Mason counties. Loc, al members attending included the Earl Lincolns of the North Shore, the Norm Sanders from the South Shore. Other sports interest of the Hoppes include sailing. They recently spent a three week vacation sailing in the Canadian Gulf Islands in their 26-foot Thunderbird sloop, the Luv of Belfair. The boat has been berthed in Kingston but presently is moored in front of their house. Mrs. Geneva Flodine has sold her trailer home at Terra Linda. She has moved to Port Townsend. New owners are Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Wiseman, who plan to sell / THE ENGAGEMENT of their daughter, Eileen, to Mr. Kenneth Martin has been announced by Mr. and Mrs. Orrin Sande of North Shore. The groom-elect is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Arnold Martin of Okinawa. He is presently serving in the U.S.Army, stationed at Fort Lewis. Miss Sande, a 1970 graduate of North Mason High School, was valedictorian of her class. Any early September wedding is planned. BELFAIR AID CAR Aug. 1, 9:15 a.m., Mrs. Delrue Thompson of Belfair to Harrison L~cal m~n pr0nl0ted Hospital, old age ailment. Aug. 4, 11 : 15 a.m., Mrs. Leisoner Michael G. Kisler, son of Mr. of Cemetery Road, Belfair, to and Mrs. Earl L. Kisler, Route 2, local Doctor'sclinic, possible Belfair, Wash., recently was broken wrist, promoted to Army Staff Sergeant Aug. 5, 12 noon, Miss while serving with the 2nd Hemmelton, new highway to armored division at Ft. Hood, Harrison Hospital, pain in side. Tex. Aug. 6, 1:50 p.m., Henry Sgt. Kisler is a Radar Schuckert, Belfair, to Harrison Repairman with company D, of Hospital, heart condition, the division's 124th maintenance Aug. 9, 9:30 a.m. Lyndal J. battalion. Hands from Bald Point Road, His wife, Christine, lives in Tahuya, D.O.A., to Batstone Harker Heights, Tex. Funeral Home in Shelton. D & G TREE SERVICE TOPPED, TRIMMED OR REMOVED FULLY INSURED Wes Griffey CR 5-2117 Lou Dobbs TR 6-4783 ners and G0rst Sub.Station CR 5-6110 ES 3-2785 Plain Dresses 1 Week Only For pick-up & delivery at UNION leave name and number at Union Tavern. By L 0 U.DOIVNEL Tim e was when a college student who wanted to spend a quiet summer poring over books without interruptions from "'the gang" or a nature /over who yearned for a secluded retreat from which to enjoy glimpses of wildlife had a chance of "getting away from it all" by becoming a lookout in one of the mountaintop towers used by the State Department of Natural Resources to spot potential forest fires. But not anymore. Watching for signs of smoke from a lonely tower is an occupation as out-of-date as blacksmiths, elevator operators and street car conductors. Keeping a watchful eye for wisps of smoke which might be a danger to the forests of this part of the state is now the job of an aerial observer who does the job from the seat of an airplane. Besides giving better coverage to the area, Don Norris of the DNR office in Port Orchard estimates it costs the state just about one-third of the former cost when there were 20 lookout towers to staff and maintain to cover the same area. In the "old days" there were not just the fulltime wages of the twenty lookouts to consider, there was the equipment needed for sighting and reporting fires in each tower, the housekeeping equipment such as stoves and refrigerators etc. needed in each, not to mention the maintenance of the high-above-ground houses themselves which were often victims of vandals during the winter months and the mileage and time spent getting food to the observers during their long summer vigils. Now contracts are awarded each year to bidders from all over the state for a four-seater plane and pilot and to an aerial observer who are paid on an hourly basis for the actual time spent in the air. Lots of money was saved in the early part of this summer fire season because the rainy weather kept the possibility of forest fires so low that few flights had to be made. As the hot weather continues in August and the danger of fire increases, more flights each day will be added until, if needed, flights will be made every hour over this area. Last hear according to Norris, there were 130 fires reported in his district and one-third of them were first spotted by an aerial observer, who radioed the location of the smoke to his office to be investigated by 77~ O~pi~ Mounta~s_ ez~ not ~nd aerial observer He.let} Walsh covered by thee flights since the ~d. " U. S~ Forestry Departmen~ has its own plane which scouts that area. We took off headed southeasterly and had only been in the air a few minutes when I sighted some smoke coming from a wooded area on my side of the plane and pointed it out to Helen who reported its location by radio. That was my one contribution during the flight; any other columns of smoke which I pointed out turned out to be garbage dumps for nearby communities, which they knew by heart, or were fires which had been sighted on the morning flight and reported, which were probably tended brush fires since they had not been put out and were no bigger than they had been earlier in the day. As we flew over Purdy we could see Seattle and Tacoma off to the left and soon Treasure, Stretch and Harstine Islands came up on the right. Way off in the distance was Belfair. We headed for Mt. Rainier, which, unfortunately for me, was" hidden from view by clouds. We passed within 12 miles of it and just as we went by I looked back and could see the bottom of its snow-covered base and high above, just peeking through some clouds, tbe very top, but I never did see the whole mountain. Special attention was paid to the deep canyons in the foothills which are particularly dangerous "during thunder shower weather when fires started by lightning might smolder for 72 hours before bursting into flame. We detoured a little in this area to fly over a slash fire on an area cleared by a logging company. Some smoke had still been visible on the morning run but it seemed to be out by the time we flew over it. There were still several trucks parked in the isloated mountainside area and Bryce said that slash fires should be watched carefully for several days after they are presumed to be out because sometimes they start up again. l never saw so many trees in my life as I did on the 2'/2 hour flight. Except for flying over Olympia, and farm area near Centralia the rest of the trip was made over still wooded areas. After leaving the Centralia area we headed northwest and passed close to McCleary, cut over to Hood Canal south of Shelton and continued north along the western side of the Tahuya Peninsula. I could identify Little Hoquiam Bay on Mason Lake on their second trip of the day. They had made the run at 1 1 a.m., just having enough time to catch a quick lunch at the airport care before we took off again at 2 p.m. Since there had been no rain for several weeks the "B flight" out of Shelton was scheduled to take off at 3:30 p.m. to make a third sighting of the district that day. Following Helen's suggestion I had taken a pill to ward off airsickness before leaving Belfair so I was all set when I arrived. I was a little early so had time for a cup of coffee with Helen before we took off. She said she had been a lookout from 1955 to 1958, one year at Gold Mountain and three years at Green Mountain, then had worked at the DNR office in Port Orchard for a couple of years before retiring to marry and raise a family. She has an 8-year old daughter and a son, 5. Her husband, Gerard, is employed at PSNS, although he was working for the DNR when they met. They live in Port Orchard. Helen said she was one of the skeptical ones when the switch from tower lookouts to airplane spotting was first made, but since being asked to serve as an observer last year, she is convinced that the present system is better. She said she had warned them that the only fires they would report from the planes would be those caused by the planes crashing into the side of a mountain. Fortunately there have been none of those. Upon entering the plane I met our pilot, who is a retired Air Force man, having served with ADC and in the training command for SAC. He is a Lieutenant Colonel in the Air Force reserve and works for Stolairco at the Port Orchard Airport which has the contract for furnishing the plane for rental by the DNR. He and his wife live at Lake Tapps and have three teen-age sons. I sat next to Bryce since Helen and her equipment took up both seats in the rear. A large box containing aerial pictures of the entire route to be covered helps her give an instant location if unidentified smoke is sighted. Drawn on each map are the section lines so that the location can be narrowed down to a 40-acre area when she reports it. As the flight progressed, Helen flipped the pictures along to keep up with the area we were flying over. ground. Because of the clouds we flewwhere I live but we didn't get At present only two of the lower than usual that day, close enough to spot our house. lookout towers are still in use, keeping about 3400 feet aloft. As we continued north we must both at Fort Lewis where they are Usually they fly 6500 feet in one have been almost over my sister's used as weather stations in direction and 5500 in the other, house on the Canal at Bangor but addition to fire-watching stations going up to 9500 over the I couldn't find it from the air when soldiers are out in the field mountains around Mt. Rainier.before we turned right and After seeing many speedboats on various lakes or the Canal or Sound during the flight, most pulling water-skiers, the Bremerton ferry looked immense from the air. The two biggest sources of smoke seen on the entire flight emanated from the pulp mill in Tacoma and the big smoke stack in Shelton. Every six minutes (about every 12 miles) during the flight the pilot banked the plane so that the ground underneath could be kept under observation, too. We headed south again down the west side of Bainbridge Island and in a few minutes the plane reduced altitude for the return to the Port Orchard Airport. My pill had worked fine, no woozy feeling had detracted from my enjoyment of the lovely scenery we had flown over. The green, green forests and the sparkling blue waters of this part of the state were a joy to behold. And through the efforts of pilots and observers like Bryce and Helen, those green forests will remain green for a long time to come. busy at the Harrison Hospital. many places. Much floated loose their Bremerton home and move usually follow these practise to the North Shore. Both work at sessions and they are sighted and ~I~~~~~~~l the Navy Yard. kept under control by constant - BONDED LICENSED INSURED - New Mission Creek resident is - JESFIELD CONSTRUCTION --=Samantha Jeanne Lane who was Zenith Color/B & W W-Radios-Hi.Fi's surveillance from the towers during Army maneuvers. _ -= _ born to Mr. and Mrs. Delmar CHANNEL MASTER ANTENNAS Three planes, pilots and aerial 7:~ CONTRACTING BUILDING - Lane, Jr., way back on July 10 observers have been contracted to --= CABINET WORK CONCRETE WORK =__when the Herald staff were all on SERVICE ON ALL MAKES be on duty in this district; taking vacation Young Samantha has Have Tubes - Will Travel off from Port Orchard, Shelton --=-- Ben Jesfield P O Box 11 Jim Jesfield .~ two sisters and four brothers. CR 5-6244 and Olympia. They rotate being -- /CR 5-2652 Belfair, Washington CR 6-6684 -- "Gourmet's Paradise" is how on call as the "A flight" each Mary Fry characterizes the North HOURS: 10 - 6:30 DALLY -- SAT. ONLY: l0 - !:30 week. When fire conditions are ~~~~l~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~l~~~~~~~l~~~~~~~~l~l~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~l~~~~~~~~~~~li Shore. She flew from Wheeling, ~~ not dangerous only the plane illlillllllllllllllllllllllllllll West Virginia, to visit the scheduled as A flight" will f'lk J~'IL,~ You'll Have A Good Time At I tivingstons. She started coming probably go in the air; as more to the Pleasant Cove area in flights are needed when the I~ H~~ [ search of fresh oysters some 16 weather turns ,hotter, the plane years ago, attended community scheduled for 'B flight" will go 4th of July festivals, and now up in addition to the "A flight" ] NORTHSHORE INN IknOws many along the shOreline" and when the danger ,of fire is A new taste treat this year for most extreme even the C flight" [ Pool Tables Shuffleboard [ Mrs. Fry is the fresh geoducks plane will be put in use. now available in this area. Other Each flight takes two and a I S flesh seafood, such as salmon and half hours to cover the territory andwiches Short Orders I . halibut, are not available in her in this district. [ " [ home town. She works in There were clouds scattered Dancing Wheeling, as an official in the throughout the sky on August 4 I Daily 1 0 a.m. til 2 a.m. ,,, Sundays 1 2-1 2 i Veterans Administration. when I drove to the Port Orchard for firing practise. Small fires -~- - ---------------- RANDALL, Chiropractor Announces the August 31 Opening of His Practice At St. Rt. 1,Box 252, Belfmr Phone CR5-3110 Tuesday and Friday-- 10 to noon - 1:30 to S Evening 7 to 8:30 P.M. Wed. and Thurs. -- 10 to noon - 1:30 to 6 County Fair Au4gl~t 20 tO 22. Each year the //b~'ary has a booth at the fair with a display of books, phonograph records and other library materials. On display this year will be Indian totem poles and other items used in conjunction with the Skookum Summer Reading Club. Mrs. Doris Whitmarsh, of the Timberland Regional Library bookmobile staff, said the fall/winter bookmobile schedules will be available at the booth, and there will be a film list for those interested in borrowing films. The bookmobile covers all of Mason County, and the North Mason Library at Belfair also offers service in the north county area Phone number for the North Mason Library is 275-6244 and it is located in the Belfair T.V. Shop. Library hours are 12-5 on Friday and I0-1 on Saturday. ALL OF the animals excepting man know that the principal business of life is to enjoy it. Samuel Butler i i!iiii il) i iiiiil;ii!iiiii i AT THE END OF THE FLIGHT aerial observer Helen Walsh finished her report and pilot Bryce Rogers taxied the plane up to the gas station to be ready for fire spotting flights the next day. Saturday, Aug. 21 noon to 6 p.m. Come In And Have Coffee and Cookies with Barry Snover, Ray and Bev Sage. Open House Specials Anti-Freeze Coolant Brake Fluid Reg. $2.75 Super Heavy-duty, Reg. $1.20 Bronco Toyota Jeep Tops and Accessories 1 Day Delivery on Foreign Car Parts Next to PUD Bldg. at Belfair 9 - 9 Weekdays Sunday Emergency CR 5-3133 CR 5-2174 Page 6 - Huckleberry Herald section of Shelton-Mason County Journal - August 19, 1971 August 19, 1971 - Huckleberry Herald section of Shelton-Mason County Journal - Page 3